Friday, March 26, 2010

Trees, please!

Recently we were at Scott's for a tree clinic where we learned a number of ways to make "homemade" trees. One of the methods used floral wire twisted to make the tree armature. I really liked that method and have made a few trees to practice and see what the final product looks like. The pictures aren't very good, so you can see the real things when you visit.

NOTE: To really see the detail you will need to click on the pictures and use the zoom in feature.

Here's a completed tree with poly fiber covered with various shades of green ground foam.




This is a different tree using the same method.


I tried applying the poly fiber and foam using two methods: 1.) Apply the poly fiber to the tree first, spay with adhesive, and then sprinkle with the foam. The problem with this method is that some of the spray adhesive gets on the limbs, so you end up with "leaves" directly on the branches. 2.) I made little clumps of poly fiber first, sprayed them with adhesive, sprinkled on the foam, and then applied to the tree. I'm still debating which I will use.



A shot of some of the armatures and finished trees. I coated the trees with a mixture of plain white glue, concrete liquid concrete color (gray) and a thickener (secret ingredient). After the coating dried I scribed lines in the material and then dry brushed on dark gray.


A close up of an armature.

It takes some time to make trees this way, but they come out fairly nice and are cheap. Sounds like "TV time" project to me!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment here!