Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nov 19, 2010 session at Bob

This was another good and fun night on the ONR Ramore Sub, two days before my Piedmont Pilgrimage open house on Sunday which to my pleasure attracted 68 visitors. My thanks to Ken, Paul, Keith and guest Collin for their help and getting me ready this night.


Before everyone arrived, Ken put excitement in he air by telling about his new house and basement where he will build his new N scale L&N empire. We discussed several options and alternatives.


Shown here is the general layout of the proposed layout room. Each square is 1 ft sq.


We then moved upstairs to work on the Ramore Sub. Ken had a good idea to raise the fascia lenght. Add rock castings flush with the fascia. We did this and it looks good. We also discussed several rock formation ideas as trains enter Englehart yard. The dark area you see here is the return loop for continuous operation which I want to camouflage as a tree line not a tunnel as the ONR does not have any tunnels.


Collin who is now becoming a regular guest (I call him my adopted Model Railroad son) stained the ties in Englehart yard on the rail that has been laid. I still plan on making the yard a winter snow scene.


Keith and Paul installed another Tortoise switch machine just ahead of the
of the continuous loop lead that goes under Swastika Junction.


We received a visitor, Halina who came brought us more good snacks to keep us energized.


I am pleased that I have made some of my foam scenery pieces removable. In order to replace a manual linked ground throw with a Tortoise this was necessary. Look at the rats nest of road bed and wire below Swastika Junction.


Here we see Keith through the maze carefully drilling a clearance hole for the new Tortoise machine wire lever using blocks of plywood and foam as depth gauges.


Keith working from above and Paul below adjusting the Tortoise machine travel. My handlaid turnouts are stiffer than the commercial ones so we need to substitute the .025" supplied spring wire with .039" wire.


Bob cutting 2" foam for the scenery entering Englehart yard.


Boston Creek scenery being built-up and the return loop hidden track in the background.


This is what the small area of scenery looked like for my open house. Yes it does look like northern Ontario in the summer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment here!